News and updates on your future

Did you know


Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a valid Australian visa to enter the country. You can apply for a range of visa types, including tourist visas, working holiday visas and student visas on the Australian Department of Home Affairs website.

There are different Australian visa types available for travellers to Australia. Knowing which visa to apply for depends on the length of your stay, your passport and the purpose of your visit.

As we are specialized in courses for international students, here below we will go through some information about the Student visa and the Temporary Graduate visa, a temporary visa that allows international students to live, study and work after they have finished their studies.

But remember: our Registered Migration Agent can help you with all the most common visa applications, including skilled visas, employer sponsored visas, partner visas, and so on.

In other words, if you have a question or you are ready to apply for an Australian visa, we are here to help you and we will find the best solution for you!

Student Visa

Subclass 500

Temporary Graduate visa

Subclass 485

Disclaimer: the content of this page is for information purposes only. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the materials contained here and incorporated by reference, this presentation is not intended to constitute legal or immigration advice or assistance.

Subclass 500

Student Visa

An Australian student visa is a temporary visa that allows you to stay in Australia for a specified period to study at an Australian educational institute. Your student visa will allow you to:

Specifically you need a Student visa (subclass 500)

Application for enrolment

First of all, you’ll need to have successfully applied to an Australian education provider either directly or, if you’d like some help, through an education agent. 

Together with a copy of your ID, you’ll need to supply: Certificates that verify your previous study, including qualifications you already have; Evidence of your English language proficiency; Certificates or documents which verify previous study or work experience if you are seeking course credits.

Letter of Offer

If your application is successful, you will receive a Letter of Offer.

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is a document that will be issued by your school that verifies your enrolment in a specific course. The CoE will be sent to you after you have accepted your offer and paid your deposit.

You must include a copy of this document in your visa application so that the government has proof that you are registered in your declared course.

English proficiency

If you are not a native English speaker, you’ll need to supply a certificate from an English language test (IELTS and PTE are the most common). If you don’t have a IELTS or PTE certificate, some schools might ask you to sit a placement test instead.

Remember that there are varying minimum requirements for each education level, and that institutions sometimes set these requirements higher for certain courses.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

This is one of the most important requirements. All applicants for a Student visa must show they are coming to Australia temporarily to gain a quality education. You must write a statement that addresses mainly two criteria:

In your statement, you can include details on your ties to home (such as your friends and family, or a job that you have to return to) as well as the value of the course to your future career. Doing so will prove both your intention to return home at the end of your visa and your true intention to study in Australia.

Proof of sufficient funds

To receive an Australian student visa, you must declare (or sometimes prove) that you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay.
For more information on the minimum required funds, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

As an international student in Australia, you must have a Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay. If you don’t provide proof that you have bought this insurance, your student visa application will be denied.

Health requirement

The Australian Government requires all international students to be in good health before entering the country. As a result, you may need to undergo a health examination and provide a medical certificate confirming that you meet these health requirements.

Character requirement

There are also certain character requirements that you must meet if you want to study in Australia. In your application, you’ll have to answer some basic questions about your character and past conduct.

Fees and processing times

In Australia, student visa fees are AUD$630 per application (as per July 2021) unless you are exempt. Additional applicants (partners or children) pay $470 when they are 18 and over, or $155 under 18 years old.

A subsequent temporary application charge applies to certain temporary visas (including the Student Visa) when you apply for your second consecutive temporary visa onshore (while you are in Australia).

It’s also important to note that the Australian student visa processing times vary from case to case. Some visas are granted the same the of the application, while most of the times it can take a few weeks or months.

Ready to apply?

You can either apply for your visa yourself, or with the assistance of a registered migration agent. You don’t have to use an agent, but they can provide useful immigration advice if you need support.

Ready to start?

Book a free consultation with us! Our Education agents, with the support of our Migrations agents, will help you find a course that is right for you, will take care of your enrolment at the school of your choice, organize your Health Cover, and prepare the lodgement of your visa.
Your international study journey is about to begin

Subclass 485

Temporary Graduate visa

The Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485) allows international students to live and work in Australia on a temporary basis after the completion of their eligible studies in Australia.

This visa has two streams:

What this visa lets you do

The Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485) is a Temporary Residence visa. Once granted, it allows the holder (and any family members included in the application) to:

General eligibility criteria

To be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485), you must meet both the common eligibility criteria plus the eligibility criteria of either of the Graduate or Post-Study Work stream.

Common criteria

To be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa, you must:

Graduate stream specific criteria

To be eligible for the Graduate stream of this visa, in addition to the common eligibility criteria (above), you must:

Post-Study Work stream specific criteria

To be eligible for the Post-Study Work stream of this visa, in addition to the common eligibility criteria (above), you must:

Extra 1 or 2 year graduate visa for graduates from regional institutions

From January 2021 you may apply for a further 1 or 2 year 485 Temporary Graduate Visa if you have been living in a regional area and graduated from an educational institution in that area.

If you don’t think you are in a regional area, don’t worry!

Regional areas include all of Australia except Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, so there is a good chance you already live in one.

If you are a student who has lived in Perth, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Geelong, Newcastle, Wollongong, Adelaide, Hobart or Canberra for 2 years you can apply for a 1 year 485 Temporary Graduate visa extension.

If you have lived and studied in any area of Australia not mentioned above for 2 years, you can apply for a 2 year visa extension.

While on the 1 or 2 year extension you must reside in the regional area you applied from, so if you are looking for another visa option to stay in Australia this may be the opportunity you are looking for.

Ready to start?

Book a free consultation with us! Our Education agents, with the support of our Migrations agents, will help you find a course that is right for you, will take care of your enrolment at the school of your choice, organize your Health Cover, and prepare the lodgement of your visa.
Your international study journey is about to begin

This is not migration advice and the above information is not intended to be exhaustive.

For further information please visit the DOHA (DEPARTMNE OF HOME AFFAIRS) WEBSITE

Or contact us to book a consultation with out partner Registered Migration Agent.

What Else Can we do for you?

Learn more about the services we offer

pba image (12)

Contact us

We would be happy to assist you

[gravityform id="19" title="false"]

The Education Agency that is right for you –
get in touch now!